Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Lovin' the Late Sixties

Spring Break has given me the opportunity to blog again!

I have spent every day so far (starting last Friday) with some type of craft in my hand, which I am very pleased about!  I have a lot to share!

But before I share the new things, I need to blog about one of my favorite dresses.  This late 1960s purple-out-of-control-hippie dress came from my shop, Re-Threads Boutique.  We get some amazing vintage items that I cannot help but purchase for myself!  I love Re-Threads, not just our items, but working there is seriously such a great job, and Nancy, my boss, is such a great person as well!

So here is the dress when I first got it:

I knew that I wasn't too comfortable wearing a full length dress when I bought it, so I had every intention of shortening it.  I did end up shortening it and I absolutely love how it turned out!  I didn't cut the fabric, because I really would like to have it's original fabric intact incase I ever wanted it at full length again.  Cutting is too permanent for me, so if I can help it, I will just double up fabric, especially on vintage pieces!
The dress was actually altered twice before I got it.  There is a small length in the skirt to shorten it, but it was taken up in a way to preserve the pattern.  Then the bottom was also folded up as well (the picture above is of the dress after I took out this shortening seam.)  
I had to figure out some math, because the bottom hem is a lot longer than the fitted waist!  I also had to account for the zipper, so there is some extra fabric in the back of the dress that allows me to actually get into it.  Doubling up the fabric actually has a nice affect because it makes the skirt a little fuller.  At first I thought that loosing the bottom of the pattern would take away from the dress, but I've grown to like the simpler bottom half of the dress, especially since the unique pattern is still at the top, sleeves, and waist!



Here is what it looks like now!  (Pictures courtesy of Amy in March when I visited her and Laura in Pennsylvania.)

(windy much?)


I hope you enjoy this beautiful weather!
~M. Margaret


1 comment: